Understanding CSIA Certification & NCSG Membership
Chimney sweeping is an unregulated industry, which makes it easy for possible scammers to set up their own sweep business and offer discount prices on their unreliable services. In spite of the fact that the chimney sweep profession helps to prevent house fires, anyone is permitted by law to get set up as a sweep company. Neither training nor experience is required, which means it is truly essential to hire a chimney sweep that possesses NCSG membership and/or a CSIA certification.
What NCSG Membership Means
We are among a nationwide group of dedicated chimney professionals who become members of The National Chimney Sweep Guild (NCSG), the only trade association for chimney professionals that is nationally recognized. The NCSG is a non-profit 501(c)(6) association which provides progressive services for chimney sweeps, promotes professionalism, accommodates ethical accountability among members, and provides public awareness campaigns.
Besides chimney service companies, those who join NCSG include manufacturers and suppliers of chimney goods and services as well as individuals and organizations who are interested in the industry though not actively engaged.
Annual dues must be paid to maintain a voting membership in NCSG. Membership in this organization signifies:
- An agreement to operate business by a Code of Ethics or possibly undergo disciplinary actions for failure to do so.
- Commitment to professionalism and credibility.
- Professionals in the company have access to regular updates of Sweeping: The Journal of Chimney & Venting Technology.
- The members have access to services which assist with success and growth. Services available include product discounts, discounted educational opportunities, technical support, and networking opportunities.
Membership with NCSG can easily be verified with the NCSG’s Find a Member locator.
What a CSIA Certification Means
The only chimney sweep you want working on your chimney is a CSIA-certified sweep. This credential means that the individual earned certification with the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA). This designation is recognized as evidence that a chimney sweep has knowledge and training in the maintenance and evaluation of chimneys and venting systems.
The distinction of being a CSIA-Certified Chimney Sweep is recognized by insurance underwriters, industry organizations, and state and local federal agencies.
A CSIA designation is not simple to achieve. The amount of study required is significant. An individual is required to do the following, in order to become certified:
- Pass an exam based on the 2006 International Residential Code.
- Pass an in-depth exam on Successful Chimney Sweeping (2009) and NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) 211 (2010).
- Sign the CSIA Code of Ethics.
A Certified Chimney Sweep is afforded the following benefits:
- Professional standing in the industry.
- Greater credibility among competitors and clients.
- Referrals from affiliated industries.
- National recognition in the industry.
- Aggressive trademark protection.
- The right to place the CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep trademark on vehicles and advertising materials.
NCSG members and CSIA certified chimney sweeps are the best in the chimney service industry. Don’t trust your family and your chimney to anything or anyone less. Call us today for your annual chimney inspection and cleaning.
Chimney Solutions, Inc.
1155 McFarland 400 Drive, Alpharetta GA 30004
Office 770-255-1300 / Toll Free 877-697-9337