Frequently Asked Questions Chimney & Fireplace Maintenance
Have a question not listed?
Call and Ask an Expert!
We have certified technicians available to answer your questions.
Call (770) 691-6707 today!
- 6. I see water leaking into the firebox of my fireplace and I also see water stains on the ceiling and the wall next to the fireplace. Can you help me?
- 7. I have gaps and cracks in the walls of my prefab fireplace. Do you install replacement parts for pre-fab fireplaces?
- 8. My fireplace smells especially during the summer when it’s hot and humid. Is there any relief for me?
- 10. I recently changed my furnace and/or water heater and now I see water on the floor near my furnace. Can you help me?
- 12. My clothes don’t dry as fast as they used to, and I’ve been told that the problem is not in the dryer. Can you help me?
1. How often do I need to clean my wood-burning fireplace and chimney?
It is recommended that a wood- burning fireplace be cleaned after one cord of wood has been burned since the last time the fireplace was cleaned.
in accordance to NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) Code 211 an inspection is recommended annually.
2. Do I need to be home?
Yes, the fireplace, furnace flue or dryer vent cleaning take place on the inside of the home, and sometimes also from the outside.
3. Should I expect a mess?
At Chimney Solutions we guarantee a mess free job. We understand that your home is your castle and we will treat your property with the utmost of respect at all times.
4. Does my gas log burning fireplace chimney require routine cleaning and inspection?
Absolutely. Routine inspection is imperative in avoiding a potential gas leak disaster. As far as cleaning goes, your gaslogs will deposit signifigant amounts of carbon to your firebox and chimney.
5. Smoke backs up into my house when I use my fireplace. Can Chimney Solutions help?
Yes. Smoke problems occur for a variety of reasons. In some cases the fireplace has a poor draw, in other situations smoke travels to other parts of the house through gaps in the liner. In other homes wind blows down the flue.
6. I see water leaking into the firebox of my fireplace and I also see water stains on the ceiling and the wall next to the fireplace. Can you help me?
Yes, Chimney Solutions can help you prevent future leaks, but doing these repairs will not remove existing stains. Chimney Solutions installs protective chimney covers and dampers. We seal crowns and flashings and also do chimney tuck pointing and chimney rebuilding.
7. I have gaps and cracks in the walls of my prefab fireplace. Do you install replacement parts for pre-fab fireplaces?
Yes, Chimney Solutions installs back walls, sidewalls and other parts such as spider dampers for Majestic, Marco, and Superior fireplace units.
8. My fireplace smells especially during the summer when it’s hot and humid. Is there any relief for me?
Yes and no. There are a variety of situations that result in the “burnt” odor in your home.
Proper cleaning will help alleviate this. In addition, Chimney deodorants will freshen things up. Chimney Solutions also offers a deodorizing service at the end of the burning season that may provide relief during the summer months until the next fire is burned.
9. How do I know that my chimney and/or firebox needs tuckpointing and/or rebuilding?
Take a close look at the walls of your masonry chimney. Do you see cracks, crumbling bricks, uneven areas of mortar, voids, and noticeable gaps between the bricks? If the answer is yes or you are not sure, then contact Chimney Solutions to provide an estimate for repair of the damaged areas on your chimney.
10. I recently changed my furnace and/or water heater and now I see water on the floor near my furnace. Can you help me?
Yes, a new liner that is correctly sized to properly vent the gases and prevent condensation may provide a solution.
11. What can you do about a whitish discoloration on the outside of my chimney?
The whitish discoloration on the exterior of the furnace chimney is efflorescence. It is caused by the escape of gases through gaps in the liner. Chimney Solutions will make specific recommendations about installing a new liner and tuckpointing or rebuilding the chimney if necessary.
12. My clothes don’t dry as fast as they used to, and I’ve been told that the problem is not in the dryer. Can you help me?
Yes. Very often dryer exhausts become clogged with lint and other debris, such as nesting material. Chimney Solutions uses special equipment to clear the passageway.
13. How do I pay for this service?
Payment is due at the time of service. We are pleased to accept personal checks, Visa and MasterCard.