Spring Cleaning Should Include the Chimney & Fireplace
It’s that time of year again. With the coming of the warm weather, many homeowners get into “spring cleaning” mode. Maybe it’s getting rid of the old to make room for the new, or maybe it’s just a good old scrub down of your entire home, but there is something about the warm weather that gets people in the mood to clean.
When is the last time you gave your home a thorough spring cleaning? There are many benefits to tackling a top-to-bottom housecleaning project. But what good does it do to clean the entire house and fail to get the chimney and fireplace cleaned, as well? As a major focal point in any room, a fireplace can be a pleasure in any season or it can be an eyesore when it’s too warm to burn logs.
Just in case you’ve never personally been sold on the idea of spring cleaning, the following are some benefits:
- Life is a lot less stressful when your home environment is clean and clutter-free. Less stress can mean better health, since many major health problems that people experience are caused by stress.
- If you ever feel that you don’t have enough hours in the day, you should definitely do a good spring cleaning, since you will no longer waste precious minutes every day trying to find things which haven’t been put in their proper place.
- There’s no telling what you’ll find when you’re cleaning every nook and cranny. You could perhaps even find a stash of cash that was misplaced or a long lost photo that brings back sweet memories of days gone by.
- Doing a complete spring cleaning is a lot of work with a great payoff, including inspiring a terrific sense of accomplishment.
There’s no better time than spring to get your chimney cleaned and inspected by a professional chimney sweep, for the following reasons and more:
- Anytime you use your fireplace, some amount of creosote is deposited in your chimney flue. When it gets hot outside, particularly if moisture has made its way into your chimney, the deposits in the liner can emit a sour odor which makes its way into your home’s interior. Your home will definitely smell fresher when you have a clean fireplace and chimney.
- There could be damage to your chimney or flue liner, which could develop as a result of moisture seeping into the exterior masonry and causing the bricks, stones, or flue tiles to crack. All moisture damage should be repaired as soon as possible, to cut down on the cost of repairs and the extent of resulting deterioration.
- By scheduling your chimney and inspection in spring or summer, you beat the rush which is typical in fall and winter. You’ll want to book your chimney cleaning with a reputable chimney sweep company, and they often stay extremely busy when cold weather is imminent.
- When you hire a professional, licensed, reputable chimney sweep to clean your chimney and fireplace, you can do so with confidence that your home will not be soiled in any way during or after the process.
- An annual cleaning of your chimneys is recommended by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), for safety reasons.
Imagine enjoying your fireplace as much in the warm seasons as you do in winter. A clean, swept fireplace can become an artistic centerpiece when it’s not being used to provide heat. And when your entire home has been subjected to a spring cleaning, just going home will be like a breath of fresh air.
Contact us this spring to get your chimney swept and inspected to ensure a safe and efficient hearth.
Chimney Solutions, Inc.
1155 McFarland 400 Drive, Alpharetta GA 30004
Office 770-255-1300 / Toll Free 877-697-9337